The Smithsonian Latino Center’s Young Ambassador Program
April 9, 2018
The Smithsonian Latino Center's Young Ambassadors Program fosters the next generation of Latino leaders in the arts, sciences, and humanities via the Smithsonian Institution and its resources. YAP, a college preparatory and leadership program, encourages graduating high school seniors to explore a wide range of academic and career opportunities through the lens of the Latino experience.
Participation in the Young Ambassadors Program is underwritten by Ford Motor Company Fund and includes meals and accommodations for the duration of the one-week training seminar, round-trip travel costs to Washington, D.C., and a program stipend. Selected students are responsible for all expenses during the four-week internship, including transportation, accommodations, and meals.
"Education is a top priority to Ford Motor Company Fund because we believe it's the key to driving brighter futures. We are proud to be actively involved in the success of the Young Ambassadors Program, and to stand alongside SLC for the past six years and witness the impact of this program in the lives of so many students," said Joedis Avila, community outreach manager, Ford Motor Company Fund.
Upon completion of the program, participants will receive $2,000 toward their higher education. Students that do not complete the training seminar and four-week internship will not receive the program stipend.
Admission is competitive. To be eligible for the program, you must:
- Be a high school senior graduating in 2018
- Be a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident of the United States with a valid Social Security Number at the time of application
- DACA students may apply as long as they have proof of DACA status, a valid work authorization permit, and a valid Social Security Number at the time of application
- Have a minimum weighted cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.25 on a 4.0 scale
- Be fluent in English
- Be enrolled full-time in a degree-seeking program at an accredited college or university (enrollment will be verified for the fall 2018)
- Commit to participate in the one-week training seminar at the Smithsonian Institution and complete a four-week paid summer internship
For More Information